Live Food for Fish Fry:
* Brine Shrimp Eggs
* Brine Shrimp Kit
Live Food for Small & Medium Fish:
* Extra Sml Silkworms
* Small Silkworms
* Silkworm Eggs
* D. Melanogaster: Wingless Fruitflies
* D. Hydei: Flightless Fruitflies
* Rice Flour Beetle Larvae
* Brine Shrimp Hatching Kit
Live Food for Large Fish:
* Medium Silkworms
* Fly Culturing Supplies
* Fruit Fly Culturing Kits
* No Bugs Insecticidal
Shelf & Drawer Paper
Care Sheet Micrworms
How to Care for and Raise Microworms
Please Click Here to Return to the Care Sheets Index Page.
Caring for Starter and Mega Cultures:
Starting the Mega Culture:
- Always Wash Hands Before Handling Your Cultures.
- Keep the culture at room temperature.
- Give the culture a stir every couple of days.
- If you only need to use small amounts of the starter culture, you can extend its life and production by adding a teaspoon or so of plain instant mashed potato flakes and a dab of water. Be sure not to over-water and make sure the consistency is pasty, not runny.
- Add 1/3 Cup Hot Water to the Dry Mixture in the Cup.
- Thoroughly mix the Microworm media.
- Add a teaspoon at a time of More Water until the media is easily worked and pasty, but not runny.
- The mixture will become slightly more liquid after a day or two, so do not add too much water. The MicroWorms will die if the media is too runny.
- Let the culture sit until it reaches room temperature.
- Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of your starter culture to the new mega culture. The more starter you add, the faster the new culture will take off.
- Give the starter several stirs into the new media with a fork.
- Wipe down the inside sides of the container. This will make harvesting more successful.
- The new culture will begin filling with worms after several days and will be teeming in no time. You will begin to see them crawling up the sides of the container.
- Give the culture a few stirs every two or three days. Make sure the consistency hasn't become too runny. If so, you can add a bit of plain instant mashed potatoes to the culture. Stir in thoroughly. Also make sure the culture isn't too dry.
Harvesting the Microworms:
You can swipe the worms that crawl up the sides of the container with your finger or a toothpick and swish them into your fry tank.
If you need more MicroWorms than this method allows, you can scoop up some of the media and swirl it into a shallow glass of water. Swirl until completely mixed. Then, suck up the worms that settle to the bottom with an eye dropper (available on our website) or baster and feed your fish. If you don't have an eye dropper or baster, wait until the nematodes settle to the bottom of the glass, and then pour most of the water out until you have a small amount of water packed with MicroWorms.
The worms will last 24hrs or longer in the fish tank, giving fry plenty of time to feed.
The Culture will begin peaking out after ten days or so. You can get another week or two out of it by adding instant mashed potato flakes and water. The culture will last until the worms have exhausted the culture.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions or
regarding Microworm Care
Main Page |
Live Guarantee and Terms |
Aquarium Care & Information
Links of Interest |
Shipping Information |
Care Sheets |
Copyright © 2004-2021 The Live Fish Food Shop