Live Food for Fish Fry:
* Vinegar Eels
* Brine Shrimp Eggs
* Brine Shrimp Kit
Live Food for Small & Medium Fish:
* Extra Sml Silkworms
* Small Silkworms
* Silkworm Eggs
* D. Melanogaster: Wingless Fruitflies
* D. Hydei: Flightless Fruitflies
* Fruit Fly Larvae
* Rice Flour Beetle Larvae
* Brine Shrimp Hatching Kit
Live Food for Large Fish:
* Medium Silkworms
* Fly Culturing Supplies
* Fruit Fly Culturing Kits
* No Bugs Insecticidal
Shelf & Drawer Paper
How to Hatch Silkworms from Eggs
Instructions on Hatching & Raising Silkworms
Please Click Here to Return to the Care Sheets Index Page.
- Distribute the eggs evenly in the Petri dish.
- Keep the eggs at 75-85 degrees. They will hatch at room temperature but will take longer.
The Silkworm eggs will hatch in 2-10 days, depending on temperature and time in transit. Eggs will arrive a dark purple color, and a day or two before they hatch the eggs will turn a light blue/gray color. Once they hatch, the egg shells are white and the worms are black
- Allow most eggs to hatch before you offer any Silkworm food to them (24 hours after you see the first ones hatch). This is important because if the wet silkworm food comes into contact with the eggs, they probably won't hatch.
- Once most eggs have hatched, grate a small layer of silkworm food over the top of the silkworms. Use the smallest grate size you can.
- Allow the Silkworms to crawl up onto the food and eat for about 24 hours.
- After 24 hours of feeding, transfer the silkworms, food, and all into a plastic Tuperware container or similar open plastic tub. You can do this by gently turning the Petri dish upside down into the container.
- Continue to feed daily and keep the silkworms warm.
- It is very important that you allow the food from the day before to dry before you feed again. If you are having problems with getting the food to dry out, a fan works well for quick dry-outs.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions or
comments regarding Raising Silkworms from Eggs
Main Page |
Live Guarantee and Terms |
Aquarium Care & Information
Links of Interest |
Shipping Information |
Care Sheets |
Copyright © 2004-2018 The Live Fish Food Shop